We are wishing everyone a healthy, happy, healing summertime! Here's what has been going on with Students Against Sexual Violence since the silent protest:
- The SASV petition has received over 1,000 signatures! We are still working to add all names to the petition webpage.
- A friend of SASV has published an article about his experience as a first-time protestor and ally to survivors at the Silent Protest Against Sexual Violence.
- Another friend, Sakira Coleman, is urging students to write letters to administrators expressing concern for how JMU handles sexual misconduct cases.
- We have drafted and sent a letter detailing our policy proposals to OSARP and the Accountability Control Board. Recipients have yet to respond.
- Organizer Caroline Whitlow spoke on the phone with Dean of Students, Josh Bacon, about her experience and the goals of SASV. Organizers Kearstin Kimm and Anna Kaplan plan to meet with Bacon in person this summer.
- The movement is now receiving national attention due to an email sent to JMU administrators involved in Caroline's case that went viral on Twitter.
Peace, love, & action.
-The SASV family